What am I still doing in Cancun?

The adventures of an American single mommy working and playing in paradise.

Immigration (but not what you are thinking)


Papa, you stay here in Mexico and mess-up the fort

     Tomorrow my baby boy and I are off to Tempe, Arizona to visit my mom. She moved from Michigan (where I grew-up) to AZ about 15 years ago after she and my dad got divorced. She never liked the cold snowy Michigan winters and I guess she had fond memories of AZ from her grad school days at ASU. Anyway, I’m thrilled she lives there. If I could convince Papi to move to the US this is where we would go. No more cold snowy winters for me either.

     I love to travel. Of course, it has become a bit more complicated now that I am traveling with a little companion. However, at 9 months old he is already a seasoned traveler or at least on his way to becoming one.

     Papi can’t visit the US with us (which also makes traveling with the little one more difficult) mostly because we have not been able to get him a visitor (B-2) visa. Why? You tell me. He is from Cuba. The wet foot/dry foot policy (also knows as the Cuban Adjustment Act) allows any Cuban who reaches US soil to stay and apply for legal permanent residence. (Notice how much this policy differs from the ones that apply to Mexicans, who some people are now suggesting that we just shoot as they try to cross the border. Nice.) The image of the Cuban trying to reach the US usually involves a boat made from an old couch, or of a little boy floating alone in the Florida Straits on an inner tube. Most people don’t realize that if a Cuban makes it to a US land border he/she can stay as well. So, if my husband at any point wanted to live in the US (yeah I wish) he could simply walk to the border (from somewhere closer than Cancun of course) and they would let him in. So then why won’t they give him a B-2 visa so that we can vacation in the US for a couple of weeks?

     I DON’T KNOW.

     It has been explained to me that when someone requests a US visa the official who will be making the decision assumes that the person is trying to emigrate to the US. So the person applying has to prove that they intend to return to their own country with documents that show they own a house, a business, etc. However, since my husband has lived in Mexico since 2006 and could move to the US at any time simply by going to the border and saying he would like to, doesn’t the fact that he hasn’t prove that he isn’t requesting the visa in order to emigrate? DUH.

     We have tried to get him a visitor’s visa twice. Both times he was denied and given some generic explanation on a piece of paper and was told “your wife has the right to request residency for you at any time”. WE ARE TRYING TO GO ON VACATION DUDE. My poor husband was so frustrated the second time. He said the guy barely even looked-up at him and didn’t request or review any of the papers he had brought with him. They also asked if we had been married in a church. UM, exactly how is that your business?

     And so, my baby boy and I will travel to the US alone again, and Papi will hold down the fort (well apartment actually and he will more than likely totally mess it up than hold it down) here in Cancun.

     Oh, and let me just mention that the fact that my husband cannot visit the US and see how great it is (for the most part) isn’t exactly going to help me to convince him to move there.

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *.