So I figure I had better mention some of the cool things about living in Mexico. Although sometimes it may not seem like it, I am actually a positive person who appreciates everything that I have. I try to be happy (I believe it’s a decision) everyday even though there are things in my life that I wish I could change.
1. Avocados are cheap. I remember one time when I was living in Chicago I wanted to make guacamole to take to a work party and each avocado cost 3 Dollars. That was some expensive guacamole. They cost more like 30 Cents each here.
2. The beach. Need I say more?
3. The weather from December through May. Sunny and warm. Hard to be in a bad mood when the sky is that blue.
4. Visitors. People (old friends and schoolmates, acquaintances, cousins) come here on vacation and then I get to see them. If I lived in say, Mexico City, that would probably not be the case.
5. The food. Tacos (de pollo, arrachera, al pastor), salsa, tortillas, jalapeños, habanero peppers, picadillo, guacamole, cebollitas, queso (blanco, fresco, oaxaca)…QUE RICO!
6. I can sing here. I am a decent singer at best, but here I am a novelty, a gringa that can sing in English AND Spanish. And there aren’t many gringas singing here which helps me too.
7. Mexican beer without the import price. Dox Equis is my personal fav.
8. In general, medical care is affordable. I had my son in a fancy schmancy hospital and it probably cost 1/2 of what it would have cost in the U.S. for a normal uncomplicated birth. (My mom’s words about the hospital…this place is like a hotel!) I paid for all of my prenatal care, labs, etc. in cash, out-of-pocket. (Note: We earn what I would consider average salaries for Cancun.)
9. Tequila. Good tequila. Tequila that you drink (not slam or shoot) with lime.
10. (I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to think of 10 things.) The friends I have met here. Some are still here and some have moved on, but what an interesting group of fabulous characters. I love you guys.
Hasta luego! Don’t get used to these nice posts about living here. lol